You might be familiar with the saying “video killed the radio star”? Well, video is taking over the internet now, too.
Online video is a popular media format proven to humanize businesses and promote brand awareness and engagement. Video content marketing provides a way for companies to engage with an audience in a highly visual way, and is increasingly being used by businesses across all industries—but don’t just take our word for it!
Below, we’ve compiled seven mind-blowing statistics about online video that will prove just how important it is to the future of content marketing.
- By 2017, 74 percent of all internet traffic will be video. 2017 is only a little over a year away (what?!) and video is projected to account for almost ¾ of all internet traffic by then. Get ahead of the game and make sure your business has a video marketing strategy in place to drive some of that traffic your way.
- 65 percent of video viewers watch more than ¾ of a video. Unlike readers of blog posts and other pieces of text who just skim through most of the content, the majority of video viewers watch videos more than 75 percent of the way through. Wouldn’t you prefer to spend your time and effort creating content that people will consume in its entirety?
- One minute of video is worth 8 million words . Similar to the above, which would you rather put your time and effort into, creating a minute’s worth of video or writing 1.8 million words on a subject? Where a massive amount of words fail, online video (literally) speaks.
- After watching a video, 46 percent of viewers take some action . Not only are they engaging, videos drive action. An Online Publishers Association study showed that almost half of viewers take action after watching an online video, whether it’s looking for more information about the subject, visiting the website named in the ad, or purchasing the specific product featured in the ad.
- 75 percent of business executives watch work-related videos at least weekly. Video marketing isn’t limited to flashy product promotions—you can also use online videos to educate an audience or guide them through a tutorial. Online video publication and distribution can help you position your business as an industry expert.
- Websites with video have an extra two minutes of dwell time compared to those that don’t. ”Dwell time” is the length of time a visitor spends on a webpage before returning to their search results. Visitors to a webpage featuring a video stick around longer, meaning they are consuming more content on your website than they might were it just comprised of text or images.
- Including the word “video” in an email subject line increases click-through rates by 65 percent . The use of online video can help boost other marketing efforts, as well. Incorporating video into your email marketing strategy will drastically increase open and click-through rates from recipients.
Now that you know the power of video content marketing, jump on the trend yourself and start making online videos for your business.